Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Chicken Broth

Yes, I said Chicken Broth! This is universal no matter what you are cooking or where in the world you are cooking. There is NOTHING like fresh chicken broth and it is so easy to make you will never use store-bought again...well, you might, but you know what I mean ;)

2 Whole Chickens- I use All Natural chickens
1/2 bunch of Parsley (all natural, if you can)
1/2 bunch of Cilantro (all natural, if you can)
4-5 Bay Leaves
1/2 Bunch of Dill (I like dried dill and I use a TON. I found the more dill I used the better flavor. I use about 1/2 cup of dried dill)
2 Large carrots- Cut up in 1 inch pieces
3 Celery stalks WITH leaves- Cut up in 1 inch pieces
2 Parsnips- Cut up in 1 inch pieces
1/4 Black Peppercorns, whole
2TB Kosher salt
1 Head of Garlic, cut in half
1 Large Onion, cut in half

Take the largest stock pot you have (I use a huge crab pot), set it on the stove and turn the stove on high.
Put in all the ingredients- no need to peel anything just dump it all in with the skins.
Fill with water until you get to about 1 inch from the top. Allow to come to a boil, reduce and allow to simmer for 4 hours. DON'T CHEAT! It needs 4 hours. Using a long wooden spoon, mix the broth every once in a while. You will start to notice the meat falling off the bones and your veggies getting softer YUM!

After 4 hours, take a large bowl or clean bucket, put a big colander on top and slowly and carefully pour the stock into it. I like to do this in stages. Once most of the liquid goes down, I add more. Once you have separated the stock from the ingredients, ladle the stock into jars and you can them or put them in Chinese to-go containers and freeze them. You can also pour them into ice-cube trays to use a little at a time. When you have filled your jars, cover and place in the fridge over night. The next day take each one out, skim the fat off the top, place the lid back on and freeze. This recipe makes about 5-6 quarts of chicken broth.

SIDE NOTE: Don't throw out the chicken and the veggies! Take the veggies, add some broth or water and you have instant soup! I take my chicken, shred the meat and freeze it. I Love to make chicken soup out of it. Great for enchiladas or lasagna! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment